1 lb. lean ground beef
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrot
OR just use 1 bag of mirepoix mix!
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs dried parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper
4c low sodium beef broth
2c low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water, more as needed
3/4 cup brown lentils
1/2 cup brown rice (I used instant)
salt/pepper to taste
- Heat 1 Tbs. canola oil (or a few sprays) in a soup pot.
- On medium high heat, add ground beef and cook until meat is well browned.
- Add onions, celery and carrots, sauté 5-6 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, dried thyme, ground cumin, salt/pepper and dried parsley and sauté 1-2 minutes more - you want the tomato paste to start to brown but not burn, watch it!
- Add 2c water and stir brown bits off the bottom.
- Add beef stock, chicken stock, and lentils to pot and cook at a low simmer about 40-50 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Taste soup and decide whether to add extra water if it's too strong, or to ensure there is enough liquid for making the rice.
- Add brown rice and continue to simmer soup based on the rice directions (instant is 5 mins, traditional is 35 mins).
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Drizzle with balsamic before serving, if desired. I didn't think it needed it!